Port Chester New York History
Port Chester is a postal village located on the west side of the Byram River, which forms the border between Connecticut and New York. It is conveniently located, has 3 churches and about 100 apartments, and is just a short walk from the Hudson River Greenway (HRG), which has been a popular hiking, jogging, cycling or horseback riding destination in recent years. Randall Island Park Trails feature a paved loop that connects the park's two main trails, the Riverfront Trail and Randall's Island Trail.
The New York State-funded PCCFA operates the Port Chester Riverfront Trail and Randall's Island Trail, as well as the Hudson River Greenway. The city limits are the Byram River, River Street and the New Haven River and its tributary River Road.
Darcey, a Vermont native who served in the Spanish-American War and moved to Port Chester in 1903, was born a trustee of the rebuilt camp. After six years as a reporter for the Port of Chester, he became editor and manager of the Rye Chronicle.
Port Chester Harbor had a good harbor and the shipbuilding industry grew, making it a port that exported local agricultural products. In the 1970 "s, factories began to move south and west, but the last major producer to leave the country were Life Savers, and in the 1960" s, its economic base began to falter.
A group of settlers moved out of Manursing Island and eventually developed what was then commonly called Port Chester. They moved to Peningo Neck and PortChester Harbor and named the city "Port Chester" in honor of the nearby city of Chester, New York. In 1938, they founded what later became Westmore Fuel and moved to Manurings Island, where they eventually founded the city of Manurings, now known as Manursing, as they called it.
As the small village grew and flourished, the inhabitants pushed for a more impressive "Port Chester" sound, which can still be heard and seen in Port Chester today.
The name "Port Chester" was finally adopted in 1837, and Port Chester Harbor was incorporated into the town of Rye as a village in 1868. In 1869 it was recognized by the legislature as a village outside the defined boundaries of the town of Rye.
Port Chester Harbor is surrounded by other villages covered by the provisions of the Village Act. Port Chester is one of only twelve villages still incorporated in the state of New York without a charter, and it is the only one outside the city of Rogge.
In the mid-20th century, Port Chester Harbor was home to many of New York's most famous businesses and enterprises. Many famous corporations had their headquarters or factories there, including General Electric, Coca-Cola, General Motors and the US Post Office.
After the steamer Port Chester Glenville moored at the foot of Adee Street, the journey became easier and safer. In 1918, a group of taxi operators organized by the New York City Taxi and Limousine Association (NYCTA), a professional taxi-drivers "association, shortened the ride to White Plains from more than an hour to just 15 minutes in 1918. The removal of dirt roads, often used for horse races, transformed the town, which in a few years had transformed from a rural commune into an industrial town.
In 1919, 18 men from Port Chester and Rye, who had served in the Spanish-American War, formed a veterans "association. After a period of inactivity, the command reorganized and expanded its membership.
On 19 April 1937, the Port Chester Board of Trustees unanimously approved Illava's new model, which the sculptor titled "Inconsolable Soldier." The Jewish community, known as the Congregation Kneses Tifereth Israel, which now serves the Westchester, New York metropolitan area, including the West Chester, Rye, Westport and Bronx communities, as well as the City of New York City, marked the beginning of a new chapter in the history of the United States of America. In the late 1930s, an NAACP branch for Port Chester and Rye was established after a young lawyer named Thurgood Marshall came to the area.
An open letter to the residents of Port Chester, published in the newspaper this week, boasted that it would include a cooling system for distributing food, water and other essentials to the community.
Eagle Iron Furnace Factory and Foundry was one of the largest manufacturers in Port Chester, transforming it from a rural community into an industrial town. The sawmills were used to saw long logs for ship timber, and for a time the harbour itself was full of ships and its harbour an important shipbuilding port. But the advent of a great railway brought decline in the last half of the 19th century.
On July 25, a group of Port Chester village officials visited the trolley barn to inspect the model in person. On July 26, they visited the Federal Art Project headquarters in Manhattan to view three EPA-sponsored models.